Friday, January 28, 2011

Update

Thank you for your continued prayers, phone calls and emails.

Yesterday I had chemo. Another long day; I was there from 7:30 -2:00... that's almost a work day! I felt great after chemo and so far today, I am feeling good. I ask that you pray this continues after each treatment but especially this weekend. This weekend we have activities scheduled for my baby who is turning 13 (boo hoo). She didn't want a party (go figure); she wanted to spend time with the family and so we have some creative things we are doing together (just the 4 of us)!

My doctor's visit went well. My regimen has changed: I was going for 2 weeks on and off 1 week, but now I will be going for 3 weeks on and off 1 week. They had to decrease one of my medications just a bit yesterday because my white cell count had dropped. There is nothing I can do, eat, or take to increase it and it is a common side effect. All we can do, which we know works, is pray. I just have to notify them if I develop a fever. Lastly, he told me to stay on top of loosing weight. I always knew that and had been trying, but if I never listened to a MD before, I am listening now! I have lost a little over 20 pounds since the beginning of December, but that's not enough. We won't discuss how much more too go, let's just say I'm working on it! One good thing he told me was to try to resume as much normal activity as possible, which was great news.....I have been trying. However, I am not ready for a FT job, but he suggested possibly trying a PT job that would work with me or volunteering.

Unfortunately, the inevitable has started. My hair is coming out! We are going to do the best we can of what was expected. I was shocked when I combed out my first comb full of hair, but I adjusted, and I am good. I have you and your prayers and God is really working with me, on me, and for me; we already have this thing beat! I hope the wig shops are ready for me, because I am about to venture into a territory out of necessity. Be assured that I won't overwhelm you with oddly colored streaked wigs, Sasha Fierce hair, or anything that might make you wonder if I have lost my mind; I will be strictly mainstream. However, don't be alarmed if you see me bald. Mike and I were talking last night 'cause he can't wait to see what my bald head looks like and he can't wait to shave it (I actually think he's a bit excited about it)! We will definitely make the best of a side effect.

Lastly, just to add some humor. What would life be without some humor? In discussion with my physical therapist, who is awesome, we were just discussing goals and time frame for me continuing therapy. While she says I am doing great, we did agree that probably another 2 months, at a minimum, I should continue. She has to send updates to my doctor and insurance with all the medical jargon about me meeting goals, etc. I told her you can send them what you want, but I am sticking with PT until I have reached MY 3 goals: I am walking without a cane, I can drive, and I can wear my high heal shoes. You gotta love life!!!

Loving you all!!!

1 comment:

  1. Yolanda~
    I have been logging on to your journey entries almost daily and I'm praying for you continuously. I would really like to visit and speak with you but I have lost contact information. Please respond with your email/cell # whenever you can. God is blessing you and me through you.
    ~Jamillah

    ReplyDelete