Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Celebrating 13 and Hair loss

This weekend was great with my family. We celebrated my youngest daughter's 13th birthday in Austin. We spent the night at the Westin Hotel which she absolutely loved and allowed the girls to order room service for breakfast. Saturday we visited The University of Texas and toured the campus; that was for my oldest daughter. We then visited the capitol. I don't think I had ever toured either one before. It was great for all of us. We rested back at the hotel and then went shopping. Forever 21.... Need I say more?

Sunday we drove to Texas A&M University and went to the Baylor and A&M ladies basketball game. It was great to see all the A&M traditions during the game; the girls really enjoyed it. We then took a campus tour. Shame to say, I don't think I've ever toured that campus either. We had a great weekend!!!!! Lastly, this momma couldn't finish celebrating 13 with her baby without a little cake and ice cream.  Last night, we invited some of Jasmine's friends over for cake and ice cream and that topped off a long weekend. We now have 2 teenagers... Yikes!!!

As for me, yesterday was eventful but I was able to overshadow my issues with my daughter's birthday celebrations. Yesterday, I had my beautician to cut off the rest of my hair and shave my head. I'm bald!!! We went and tried on wigs, it was her day off.  She was just awesome! As she shaved my head, I just closed my eyes and listen to the razor take "my crown". She encouraged me to open my eyes because my head was actually "cute". I have seen cute bald headed women, but I just couldn't picture myself that way and I was afraid to look. After I opened my eyes, it wasn't horrid, I wouldn't really say cute, but nonetheless I tried on big hoop earrings to check out my new look.  My beautician stayed with me for awhile....I was OK.

I have listened to Robin Roberts say to women we are not our hair. And that is true!!! But, it is a very odd, strange and uncomfortable place to be when you haven't been there before. I know my hair will grow back and I'm told it will be a different texture and prettier when it comes back. I will show my baldness because I feel like it is something that I must do.  Again this struggle is not just for me or about me...it's for you too.  My strength is not in my hair; my strength comes from within, from the spirit of God.

However, later, I had to show hubby. I was not emotionally ready for him to see my bald head.  He "worked with me" and I showed him. He's still here!!! God love and bless this man. This entire experience has shown me how much my husband truly loves me for ME. Even now, with my insecurities about my body and my looks, he still loves me for ME. I thank God that I do not have to go through this alone. I often tell him that I am glad God looks at our heart and not our physical body when we are called home to GLORY because He may not recognize me when I get to the pearly gates.

God love and bless you all!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment