Friday, February 4, 2011

Challenges & Surprises

It's been awhile since I have had a chance to sit down and compose my thoughts into some type of coherent and presentable message that I can share with you all.  This is absolutely a marathon! First let me share some thanks to all of you wonder individuals.  No matter if you are family, friend, associate or someone who we have never formally met before, I am eternally grateful to each one of you for your many thoughts, prayers and well wishes.  Yolanda and I continue to find inspiration from all of your comments.  Your prayers are definitely being heard because Yolanda is a walking miracle!! THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!

Second, I will share with you that I have been going none stop caring for Yolanda, her mom and our girls since July 2010.  It’s been one giant physical drain, but I am thankful for the opportunity to care my wife and family.  The one saving grace has been having my mother here.  She has been living with us on and off for the past several months.  She is splitting time between Houston and Dallas (my home town).  She is here for four weeks then she returns to Dallas for one week to take care of her personal matters.  I have been running so hard that I totally let myself go and was not taking care of myself (I didn’t even realize it).  As a result of running so hard, I caught the FLU for the first time in my life two weeks ago.  It caught me off guard and I was down for five whole days.  Luckily my mother was here to help my family.  My doctor told me that I have “care-taker fatigue” and unless I start eating better and working out, I was going to have some critical life altering medical issues.  After I picked up my lower lip and scraped myself off the floor, I made a commitment to myself to carve out time to take care of me.

Third, it has been truly amazing to watch Yolanda endure everything she is going through.  I said it before and I will say it again…she is my hero!  She is a real trooper and is consistently pushing herself to fight through the pain.  It is so easy to care for her.  I consistently try to make her day as manageable as possible.  Honestly, I don’t think I am making a difference sometimes because she is in so much pain, but I will never stop trying! In terms of Chemo, Yolanda is in her 2nd round of treatments.  She has her all day injections on Wednesdays.  Thursday’s are generally AWESOME days as she feels great all day; however, Fridays and Saturdays are typically the complete opposite.  Sunday’s are typically a little better.

Finally, on last Thursday Yolanda had an MRI.  The purpose of the MRI is the see if the Cancer continues to spread in here spine.  Dr. Lee ordered the MRI and she will be back to his office, once the report is ready, to discuss the findings.  Please pray that her Cancer has stopped spreading!  She has come so far in terms of regaining strength in her lower body. She walks around the house without a cane. Her body is not as sensitive any longer.  The fear of her getting too cold and having to rush her to the ER, is no longer a concern. Praise GOD!

Everyday brings new challenges and surprises.  But no matter what, I will always have Yolanda’s back! I would trade places with her any day so that can bare her pain. 

Enjoy life and pay forward some kindness to someone in honor of Yolanda! 

No comments:

Post a Comment