Saturday, February 12, 2011

Counting My Blessings

I can't count them all, but I will continue to be thankful to be a part of a praying community. Thankful to God for such a wonderful husband (His posting just made me gloat inside).

I wanted to keep you posted on how I am doing; the latest in my (our) life. I had an MRI done on my cervical and thoracic spine. It was the first radiological test since the surgery on 12/1. The prayers of the righteous do avail much. While there were some changes since the MRI prior to surgery and radiation, there was nothing for us to be concerned or alarmed about. It obviously showed the rod which is stabilizing my back, but also a hematoma or fluid sac which will absorb itself and 2 spinal compression fractures. No worries!!! The compression fractures are on the same 2 vertebrae that Dr. Kim operated on to remove the cancer and are both in the area supported by the rod. The MRI also did not show any extension/spread of the cancer along the spinal column.

Unfortunately, I was not able to receive my chemo this week because my White Blood Cell (WBC) was too low. One of the potential side effects of chemo is lowering the WBC, so mine had been going down, but this time it was just too low. Get this!!! I had to receive a shot that would increase my WBC over the next two weeks. Uhhhh.... Why did the medication cost $3500? And no I didn't type too many zeros. I was thinking with this drug I should be healed of everything. Thank God for insurance.

Lastly, on Thursday, I had my second encounter with a medical massage therapists to loosen up the scar tissue and help improve mobility in my upper body. By that night, I felt like I had been in a fight. Friday morning I had physical therapy. She worked me over. Instead of an hour, it was an hour and a half. We did all new exercises as we are now beginning to work on strengthening exercises. She's stepping up her game....ugh! But I do it with a smile because I know what the goal is. Like Rocky I just have to focus on the prize. And so, Friday night, the pain was so unbearable I could hardly turn myself or sit up. I'm taking the Vicodin!

You may wonder what do I have to be thankful for given this week besides being alive...
Obviously the results of the MRI are a blessing. Understand that the cancer could have spread and affected areas past the rod, anything. However, for now it hasn't and so I am blessed. The fact that I was unable to receive my chemo was a little disheartening but hopefully I will feel a bit better than usual. I now have 2 weeks off from chemo and right now I am planning my daughter's Sweet 16 birthday party. Prayerfully I will be able to participate without having to worry about myself. Lastly, all pain is not bad pain. My therapist is able to push me more over the next two weeks, hopefully.

Thank you Lord for hearing my prayers but for also listening for anyone who but mentions my name in their prayer time. Thank you for the surgery and the radiation and now the chemo, which are attacking the enemy in my body. You have given me the strength to fight and when I am weak, you have given me the strength of a praying community who's got my back. The enemy won't have an opportunity to weaken me to the point that I should fail. While this battle and this journey may be long, hard, and difficult, I (we) have already won. And we believe it all in faith and as evidenced in how you are working and manifesting in this temple. Thank you Lord for your people and bless them in every aspect of their life that they each may be covered by your grace, mercy and tenderness.

I love you all
Yolanda

1 comment:

  1. Some adult (not x rated) humor
    <|;o)

    Honey,
    Hey you and mike are such an uplifting team!!! SWEET 16?????!!!!!
    OMG!!!!! I remember when u got pregnant (well not the actual moment of conception!) although knowing you I'm sure you were playing some Al Green (before the Rev. part), Barry White, or even Marvin Gaye....
    Well now that I gave everyone a mental picture... Let's get it on..with my post...that is! Don't go off on an adult add/ADHD moment!
    I'm very happy to read you and mikes postings, they truly provide an insight as to how your day is. Whew, Mike u may not know me, but if u ever get a cold or a flu, my mom makes a SPICY soup that can kill any bacterial/virulent germ!
    Its like Vicks on steroids!!!!!
    Yes sir, u wore yourself out and down!!!!!!!!
    Well guess what?????
    I think it's safe to say u r truly a nurse, we never stop, hardly eat, and as for going to powder our noses, well.....
    Let's just say if a nurse was stalking an astronaut - like that lady astronaut did ??
    Well a nurse wouldn't have needed a diaper!!!!!! we can hold our bladder forever!!!
    Oh danggggg....
    I went off on a tangent(that's what happens when ur a 44yo Mexican American w 2elementary aged kids!!)
    SWEET 16??????
    there's no way ur young lady is turning 16!!!!
    that would mean that we can't claim to be 20!!!
    Of course we all were in our 20's while huney and I worked together
    Enough laffing at our 'blast from the past' I met a person yesterday whose best friend has bc( my pc word for the boob issue at hand) and this lady has opted to embrace her pain, much as I have embraced my insane sense of humor, she has yet to take any analgesia for her pain irregardless of the level, I imagine it's because she meditates with it, ALL I know is that given that VERY WELL KNOWN fact that my peeps are quite fond of histrionics/lots of (i's) followed by screaming and moaning ( no offense to my peeps I'm just saying, I can be an expert witness my mom DOES have 18 brothers/sisters) u know what that means......nope my grandparents didn't rely on Green,White,or Gaye they relied on 8 little heavy set well tuned men with extra wide brimmed sombreros to give them a serenade or two..
    It is her sense of FAITH in our Father up in Heaven as well as her faith in those she loves and those who love her!
    I tell my son when he asks "how will I know when I Grown up?"
    I told him 2 things
    First, when you a accept that God created us and not some ocean bacteria that we evolved from ( hopefully he will understand that statement way way before he sees his first born naturally-for that is indeed a miracle, that with all that pain and pushing we don't clobber them senseless)

    Second, is when you can see your insecurities, fears, and weaknesses and yet you can laugh ur rear off at them! Yes for me that includes my middle school yearbook picture where in my kids looked up my old unmarried name and turned to ask "hey mom whose the ugly little Hispanic boy sitting in your place.....?
    Laff at yourself, just laff at yourself I kept repeating..
    Unfortunately Mr.Honey was there and that was sooo not the right ammo I wanted him to have...

    You two have shared so many hard to understand situations, because I haven't been challenged in such a way, but you revealed to us how you handled some otherwise heart wrenching moments, not only with profound Prayer, but with humor. You have not kept anything secret'ed (otherwise someone might read it like secre-Ted eeeewwww) and thus you kept your heart lightened to a point knowing that people out hear of all walks of Faith have both of you and your families covered. You have maintained you body in the best positive balance with the constant guidance of your spouse, daughters, and numerous friends/family
    You know honey and I both love and pray for u everyday and neither of u r very off our minds and well embedded in our hearts.
    Stay positive and give a 'hola' to one of ur girls.
    Peace/love/happiness
    S

    ReplyDelete