Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Day 6

Well, today was our visit to the oncologist to learn about the rest of our journey. One thing I will start out by saying is that you never want your doctor to walk in the room and say "this is rare."

Michael and my mom accompanied me today. The biopsy that was done last Friday is metastatic breast cancer. Therefore, the cells have spread from my breast to my spine. It is located in T2-T5 vertebrae (inside the bone) which is about mid part of your back between your scapula. There is also a small spot that was identified on my left lung, but at this time is too insignificant to biopsy and the treatment plan will take care of it if it is cancer.

As for the treatment plan: We will visit the Radiation MD on Monday to be evaluated for the initial phase of radiation therapy. I will have my staples removed from the surgery on next Thursday. Radiation will begin the following Friday or week. At this time, it is anticipated that I will need 10 days of radiation. We will confirm on Monday.

After radiation treatment is completed, I will begin chemotherapy. That will require further discussion as it relates to how long and how often, but at this time it is estimated that I will need at least 6 months of chemotherapy. As well, due to the bone degeneration caused by the cancer, I will need additional IV therapy of a particular medication once per month.

There's always two ways to look at a circumstance. Here we are relieved that it is treatable; however, we were baffled when informed that they usually only see this pattern of cancer in 2% of cancer patients. Originally, the cancer was classified as "Ductal carcinoma in situ" (DCIS) which is noninvasive and not expected to spread. However, the original tumor was so large that it would have been impossible to dissect every piece of the tumor. Therefore the majority of what was dissected and analyzed was DCIS. Somehow, a few of those sneaky cells got away and spread to my spine and decided to set up shop in their own neighborhood. S0 we are now faced with invasive cancer, seen in 2% of breast cancer cases and not a closely studied group of patients because of its rarity.

From our hearts: The doctor says that it is not curable but all we pray for is a healing. The treatment plan will place it in remission. We will take this in stride and realize that a healing is from the spirit. This could come back or not. We have informed Kendra and Jasmine and ask that you just continue to support our family in prayer as we continue to go through this journey.

With love to all of you
Michael and Yolanda

1 comment:

  1. Yolanda, I can not speak I am so speechless and you know I love to talk..... You are truely my spiritual sister. God imprinted you in my life for a reason...... I thank him for that. I agree you are being used to show That God is real and he is still in the Healing Business..... and in the Dictonary where it says Healing,
    Healed,.... Your Picture is Present. Yes Iam praying for you and your Family. Please keep me up to date.... with your Journey which is my Journey now. Love Ramona

    ReplyDelete