Saturday, November 27, 2010

Sunny Day in Houston

I hope everyone has had a great time "doing you" over this holiday period. Whether you ate too much or shopped too much, watched games all day or caught up on everything you have on DVR, I hope all in all it has been relaxing.

We continue on our journey...
Last night we had an "eventful" evening related to me having a severe onset of piercing pain (more than usual) in my back and chest. I thank God for covering prayer during this entire ordeal. I have learned over the years to always try to find the good in the midst of a storm. Normally when you call a MD on call and they tell you to go the emergency room, you still have to sit and wait, be triaged at the discretion of the staff on duty. However, I believe it is the fervent prayer of all of you that continue to place me in good hands, such that I was able to go directly to the ER and be treated immediately (no delay).

Right now, until treatment starts, managing the intense pain is our priority. I am on 75mg of Fentanyl and 1-2 tabs of Vicodin every 4 hours. For those who do not know, those are just some good ol' narcotics. Its times like these that I would have voted for legalizing marijuana...no joke. I am not trying to start a political debate here by supporting legalization of social use, but until you have experienced the most intense pain of your life, would someone understand the desperation to try anything. NO WORRIES EVERYBODY... I will just keep calling on Jesus as my choice of relief (along with those that have been legalized) to make it through. Something else that has improved during this time is learning to use my psyche to focus, so that I am not a whaling, out of control patient. Channeling myenergy and controlling my thoughts (blocking out surroundings) allows me to help manage my pain as well.

To those who called and made attempts to see us today, my husband was "on duty" and restricted all socializing today so that I could recuperate and rest. Y'all....I absolutely LOVE my husband. He is fulfilling every role imaginable as a husband during this journey. I thank God for divinely creating an individual JUST FOR ME. Everything that I have needed him to be, he is. The best part, that in the midst of all of this, we find time to laugh and tell jokes even about things that are occuring along the way. For example: A part of surgery was visiting a plastic surgeon. The surgeon had to take all of these pictures of me. So, picture this: I am in a patient room with a male physician, my husband and his female nurse. The MD says "take off your top" and "now let's take pictures". Mike and I looked at each other knowing there was a joke between the two of us waiting to be told. Once finished, Mike (and you just have to know Mike) asked the doctor for a copy of the pictures becuase he didn't have any topless pictures of me. Well, once Mike and I were left in the room, I say "Well, I have never just posed half dressed for anybody let along a full room".

You just have to laugh to keep from crying and you have to pray to keep from loosing hope. Thank you for your prayers.

1 comment:

  1. You are absolutely amazing. I know it's nothing but the power of God that is working in you and through you. As I've read each blog posting, I felt the strength and fight in your words lift off the page. Continue to be a beacon of light throughout this season in your life. Your strength and spiritual perspective is very encouraging. I find it to be so amazing that your relationship is strengthened with God AND your husband. That is so fantastic. I honestly have to thank God for your blog. I want to pray with you personally. Until your hubby gives me the thumbs up, Ken and I will continue to pray for you and your family. We are here.

    All the best,
    Dee Brown

    ReplyDelete