Friday, January 21, 2011

Songs for a season

In more recent years, I have taken upon myself to do more than proclaim God as my king, but to actually learn the meaning in His word and apply it to life even more intentionally. I am very grateful to attend a teaching church with the opportunity to learn while we worship and get our praise on.

Whether it secular or spiritual, songs are released and something will strike you that makes you exclaim "That's my song" when it comes on. You may not be able to carry a tune but you know the words and every "OOO" and "Ahhh" in the song. You know the lead and the background. However, this song is different from every other song right now because it strikes a cord with something significant that has happened in your life or perhaps something you are going through right now.

In August 2009, I was wrongfully terminated from my job by a very insecure, unknowledgable individual who, of course in my opinion, was incapable of holding and ill-qualified for the position he attempted to occupy. (You might can tell that I still harbor some resentment for the individual but I have forgiven him because he was in a position to make decisions out of ignorance.) Outlandish lies were constructed and "sold" upstream and were believed. I was basically in a position were I was a scapegoat. After riding a short emotional roller coaster, I had to turn this situation over to God before it ate me up. I had a song: Hezekiah Walker's "God favors me". I sang this song 3, 4, 5 times a day. Anytime it was on the radio or in my shower or just walking around the bayou... I had a song in my heart. The song encouraged me and gave me peace of mind.

Condensed excerpt: Love is patient, caring, love is kind. Love is felt most when it's genuine, but I had my share of love, abuse, manipulated, and misused and I can't help but give you glory when I think about my story. I know you favored me because my enemies they tried and couldn't triumph over me. I'm still here, I'm still alive, I'm still blessed on my way to my destiny because the favor of God is on my life. They whispered, conspired, they told their lies. My character my integrity , my faith in God will not fall, will not bend, won't compromise. I speak life and prosperity and I speak health.

In about a week after I was terminated, I was offered and hired by another company. We never missed a paycheck and all was well. That song kept me going!!!

As some may know, that job which was a blessing in September 2009, became a nightmare (and that's all we will say about that) and I voluntarily left there in June 2010. During this time, however, I was praying to God to get me out of that situation, but I was also drawing nearer to God and William McDowell's "I give myself away" became my song of that season. I really prayed that God would use me to do His will that he had planned for my life. Being very honest, in my mere mortal mind that meant that I would do what He wanted me to do and go where He wanted me to go, etc.

Condensed excerpt: I give myself away. I give myself away, So you can use me. I give myself away, I give myself away, so you can use me. Here I am. Here I stand. Lord, my life is in your hands. Lord, I'm longing to see Your desires revealed in me. I give myself away. Take my heart Take my life as a living sacrifice. All my dreams, all my plans, Lord I place them in your hands. I give myself away.....My life is not my own To you I belong, I give myself, I give myself to you.

And now I have metastatic breast cancer blogging to friends, family, and strangers who are telling me how they are being blessed. Be careful what you ask (pray) for. This was not my idea of offering myself to be used by God, but then again I prayed His will for my life that I may be a steward for Him. You never how God will use you!

Do you have a song for this season in your life?
Do you think you are following God's will for your life?

Praying for every aspect of your life...
Love

No comments:

Post a Comment