Thursday, January 20, 2011

Trials truly make you think

We haven't forgotten about the blog, but sometimes you have to take a moment just to reflect. I will share, as I have been doing, trials make you think more intimately with yourself, self-reflect, and rehearse life. I haven't had the "opportunity", if you will, just to think about my life since... forever.

I am wondering where some of my schoolyard friends are from elementary. I am remembering my dad: riding horses together, racing him up and downthe sidewalk in front of our house, riding in his volkwagon with hay in the back, running from him when I got in trouble, and caring for him in his last months. I'm remembering being a Lanier Purple Pup squad member in middle school and my favorite English teacher Mrs.Perkins. Wondering where my school bus buddy Kerri is and what she's up tothese days; we used to walk home together. I think back to Rice summer school which was the popular summer activity and my first job at 15 with Ms. Session at BunnyLand A-Cat-A Me where I thought I was rich after making $300 for the entire summer. As for highschool, well that was fun...when I look back. I wonder why my kids didn't believe I was a chearleader until I showed them the picture and that I went to school dances with a guy (even though my parents were the chaufers). I think back to college years and remember pledging, dating, parties, my instructors, and new friends and new experiences. I have been through the eras of wearing bell bottom jeans (bring that back), classmates wearing one silver glove (Michael Jackson), Cindy Lauper skirts and boots, and prairie dresses (that may have just been me).

I am now celebrating 18 years as a wife and nurse. I could tell you all so many stories as I look back over both professions (yes being a wife is a profession-- it's work!). In nursing I can remember getting my first job in Labor & Delivery, hearing a story of a mother thinking she was coming in to have twins and left with triplets, mothers leaving their babies at the hospital to go "collect their government checks", and tightly wrapping newborn babies who had been born positive on their drugs screening tests. I can definatley reflect on the miracles I witnessed when I worked in Neuro ICU and the recovery of brain injury patients that would leave us in awe! I just think about working at Memorial Hermann, Kindred and Atrium and the many people I have had the pleasure of working with and for. As a wife, well the memories would be longer than my arm; good and bad, but WE are still here. And, I have been blessed to still be in the game, a mother of two beautiful girls, and married to my best friend.

That may sound like a lot (or maybe not) but it's not until this trial in life that I actually stopped to reflect on all these times and many many more and I say...where did the time go? Its seems like mounds of memories but, since I still consider myself young, I thought there was time to do all the things that I wanted to do and go where I want to go.

Friends...tomorrow is not always promised. Although I am travelling along this rough journey....KNOW that I am not giving up, I am going to start making my bucket list now. This I can say, my life may not have made any headliners, but I have enjoyed it, the people, and the experiences.

Love
and I'm praying for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment