Monday, December 20, 2010

Everyday Is A Challenge - But God!

First let me say that we are sorry for not updating the blog since last Wednesday but as you may image we have been busy with the kids (mid-terms, multiple athletic practices & games, etc...), Yolanda's treatment schedule, my work schedule (when and if I get a chance to go in depending on how Yo is feeling) and attempting to restore some level of normalcy to our daily lives, two out of three is not bad!  What a tremendous blessing it is to have my mom living with us.  I know that this family would not be able to function without her presence.  She has been a God sent and we are so eternally thankful to have her in Houston.

Since Yo has come home, we have all been learning to adjust to our current situation, but through it all we say PRAISE God because there were/are/is so many other alternatives.  I thank God daily for Yolanda and I continue to be amazed daily by her strength and determination.  Allow me to give you a glimpse of how we are REALLY doing:

Yolanda has started to feel those rods and screws in her back (from December 1st surgery) and it is extremely uncomfortable for her to rest.  Sleeping in the bed is a thing of the past (for both of us).  I refuse to leave her side, so where ever she sleeps so do I....restful sleep has no meaning any longer.

Throughout the day and night, we/I continuously have to adjust her pillows and her positioning to find that "right" spot in the chair so that she can maybe get a couple of hours rest.  But again, we say Thank You LORD for your tender mercies.  We take comfort in all of the small blessings along the way.  So, instead of complaining about the lack of sleep we enjoy our new found quite talking time.  There is a silver lining in everything, if you look hard enough! In a perfect world I am one of the hardest sleeper you will ever meet, just keeping it real.  Nothing could wake me from my dream, but God has blessed me with ultra sensitive hearing during this time.  If Yolanda so much as breaths too hard I hear her and instantly wake up to see what I need to do to assist her in any way.  Now, I do have to take a much needed to sleep break at least once a week to recharge my batteries which I typically do at some point on Sunday's after church (and my COWBOYS) :~}.

Yolanda has not yet regained complete strength to her lower body.  Her quad muscles are so weak that she is still using a walker to get from point "A" to point "B", but again we say PRAISE God.  We thank God for not taking the use of her legs away from her. We remain confident that physical therapy will help and she is going tomorrow morning for her second treatment.

As of today, she has had four radiation treatments to her spine.  PAIN management remains the biggest issue.  Just so you all know - there are good moments, not good days! Everyday she is battling pain in her back.  Today for example, was good early in terms of managing pain until around four o'clock.  While sitting, Yolanda started to experience a "new and different" pain in her spine and it continued to intensify as the minutes and hours inched by.  After multiple doses of Morphine she was finally able to find relief around 7pm.  I think Forest Gump said it best, "Life is like a box of chocolates, you never know what you are gonna get."

Yolanda also has to wear an abdominal band to support her diaphragm because her core is not as strong as it was before her last hospital stay.  By the way, in case you didn't know, this is the primary reason why she has difficulty talking on the phone of entertaining guest for any length of time.  Feel free to send her all the text messages you like, generally speaking she will respond quickly unless she is not feeling well.  Trust me when I tell you she is not avoiding your calls.  Yolanda simply does not have the strength, energy or voice to carry on several conversations during any given day.
In closing, I will leave you with this thought:  Live life like there is no tomorrow.  Enjoy ever moment with your loved ones.  Don't pass up a chance to love and above all put and keep God at the center of your life!

Good night and may God Bless you all!! 

5 comments:

  1. GOD is good I will continue praying for you Yolanda. Michael you truly are a GOD sent.

    Lova ya,
    Elba

    ReplyDelete
  2. Honey I apologize for not sending emails! But I see that God has you all taken care of!!!! Mike you have not only stepped up and become a caregiver too soon in your lives, but you have truly taught people and I hope young people, what "in sickness and in health, in good times and in bad, and to honor and cherish" your wife! Now days people enter marriage as if it were a "trial project" and at the slightest discord, then separate and divorce. You too are truly meant to be together, and must have some of the most honest intimate discussions. By intimate, I mean the true heart to heart topics that, leave no room for doubt! Not many couples are ever able to reach that level, and you two are there and beyond. You honor your parents with your actions, because it shows the love you were raised with, they did a heck of a job with you Sir!
    Yolanda, u are always in my prayers as well as your family and medical team, because they are truly Blessed by God. I believe in miracles because my niece is alive today were it not for the prayer lines, prayer chains and ultimate support from everyone whose lives she ever touched! You have touched kore lives than u will ever know,but I want you to always remember that we are always here for u. If your mom in law needs a break and or if mike needs a power nap, you know u have a (friendly nurse) to sit quietly at your side. I'm sure u have thousands of offers but now you have a thousand and one! We pray that our Heavenly Father continues to surround you with His healing love and provide you with the strength to maintain the forward perseverance that you have maintained since June! Remember, honey is available to help u or Mike in any way that we can. I will forward you our numbers so that u and mike have them available for anytime.
    Remember we love u all

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yolanda and Michael,

    I have been touched very deeply by reading the updates and have felt out of the loop since I left the bank to be at home with the baby.I have not had the oppurtunity until this evening to log in and read this blog and I have been in tears. I admire you guys faith and trust in God to do His will, for I am learning more and more that is the only way to live life. As I walk the floor with a fussy baby boy, I am trying to be patient and jusgt be thankful I can hold him even if it meanas no sleep yet again. I will be honest, I am human and being a sleep deprived mom, I do not pray as I should but I will be remembering you all in my prayers. Hang on to God and let him be your strength. I pray that my faith will be able to stand no matter what I may face in this life as you all are doing now. Thank you for sharing and God Bless.

    Amanda Payne

    P.S. Michael I miss sitting outside your office and hearing that contagious laugh every day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Praise God from whom all blessings flow! Each time I read your blog it it so surreal and although it tells of your trials and tribulations, it also tells of a great love story that intensifies daily! Michael, true man of God, I honor and respect all that you are doing for your family! May the Lord, our God grant you and Yolanda peace! As we continue to sit at the savior's feet with our prayers without doubt, knowing that He will grant us those things that we request, I pray that that this day Yolanda you will receive rest and a painless day. Day by day God is making a way for you!
    Love Ya!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear Yolanda and Michael...
    I promise you that everyday I think about laughing through it all. Laughter seems to heal any and all ailments. I thank God that you both have the ability to see the blessings in all of your experiences and can laugh together.
    I am extremely moved by the dedication you have for each other and I pray continuously for your endurance as you pull through challenge after challenge.
    Yolanda, you and I have been apart for many years, but in my mind I see you as I remember you ...strong, energetic and a magnetic, infectious sense of humor--I will hold all of the bright moments in my mind of you, me, Brawin and crazy Jeanine and know that the memories will cause you to laugh as I laugh and across the miles we will laugh together.We were so silly--weren't we??
    May Christmas continue to bring you all joy as we revel in our redemption and the peace of the season...
    JoNell

    ReplyDelete