Friday, December 3, 2010

I'm coming around

Well, as most of you have read, my protector and my guard has limited my visitation with only the greatest concern for my well being taken into consideration. This was a mutual decision, because if you know me, I will tend to over do it and then I will set myself back. Therefore, I am still very limited to texting and email.  Most of my commucnication will come via the blog.

I can not and will not ever be able to find the words to explain my appreciation and my gratitude to each of you for your words of affection, encouragement, and outpouring of love that has been demonstrated toward me and our family. All I can say is that I hope and pray I can be there for you in your time of need as you have been there for us.

As I stated before, the expressions of love and someone actually praying for you speaks more in volume than someone just saying they love you or "I will pray for you." You have done just that! I am honestly in awe of all of you.

I told one of our associate ministers, as a revelation to me, as I looked out amongst a group of my church members, I said to him "You know, this cancer is not about me at all. This is bigger than me; this is for someone else." At the time, these were the words that graced my mind but I could not at the time tell you exactly what that meant. When I gave a testimony at church the last Sunday in October, I then again could not articulate why this was happening to me, what was to come out of this and know who was to benefit.

Today, I can share that this journey was meant for you and for me. I am learning so much about myself as it relates to my strength, my belief and my Christian walk. I am learning more about love and prayer, as well. I am learning and growing in my marriage and my relationships. Many of you have shared through this blog, emails and text messages how this physical event in my life has/is impacting your spiritiual life. I think we have come to a crossroad together that is not about any one individual but it forces us to rely on the ONE AND ONLY HOLY GOD to supply our rescue and need.

My pastor preached a sermon one Sunday, and one of the questions was, "Why me" and better yet, the question we should be asking is "Why not me." I honestly consider myself privileged to be chosen by God to be an instrument He found worthy enough to use for his people. What has been most intriguing to me as of late is this; prior to going to surgery, without provocation, my surgeon said to us "Listen, I am a believer. I am just an instrument." Then the first nurse in the recovery room that I was able to clearly commuicate with expressed her Christianity to me and as she left for her shift, she said to me "I pray for a healing for you and I feel great vibes for your life." Throughout the stay so far, people have just poured their blessings upon me by wishing me well, etc. And so now, I do not ask "Why me", I say "thank you God for choosing me and I hope that I am serving you well for the extent of this journey."

We are still on the journey unknowledgeable of what the end will bring. I will tell you that we have scary moments thinking of the worst, we have funny moments just laughing at ourselves as we often do, and we have just moments thinking of what we still have left to do.

What's next: Well the plan is that in about 10-12 days post surgery we will start radiation therpy on my spine for about 5-12 days.  Afterward we will begin chemotherapy. I still don't know how long or the frequency of the chemothaerapy, but we suspect that it will not exceed 6 months.

Loving and Praying for you all...

Yolanda

12 comments:

  1. W O W ! ! ! ! Yolanda, you are a chosen woman of great faith! Thank you for being you and for unselfishly thinking of us along with God's plan for us. He has mightly placed you in our lives for so many reasons that we can't comprehend. We thank God for you! We pray for you constantly! Thank God for surrounding you with Christian medical personnel! It is a blessing that they have expressed their beliefs, Christianity, and their positive energy. We are so overjoyed to receive your communication, wherein you express yourself so peacefully, so clearly, so instrumentally, so transparently, so lovingly, so strongly, so passionately, so sweetly, so deliberately, so friendly, so saintly, and so lovingly!!! We appreciate you allowing us to be in your life during this absolute trying time. You give us all strength, hope & clarity, through sharing your divine wisdom. This has pushed us even more to Ask, Seek & Knock for God's ear & answers. We know He hears us and knows our heart. Ronnie & I have been a married "team" for 33 years. We share the same heart and mind-set. We pray, in tandem, for you and all who intimately share your space, i.e., Michael, the girls, your mom, your immediate family, the medical personnel & your church. May the Lord keep blessing you/us real good!
    Blessings!
    Stelena & Ronnie Evans

    ReplyDelete
  2. Keep up with the Faith, thank God we come from a praying family. My heart is in your heart, my prayers are in Gods hands. And I am with you

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Yo Yo, it's so good to hear from you. I am also glad to hear that you are around christian surgeons and nurses...this is a blessing! I want you to rest and I will certainly be there to see you as soon as I'm allowed. I love you, take care.
    Mae

    ReplyDelete
  4. Let the redeemed of the LORD say so, and you are. Chosen before the foundation of the world for a great task, and if I must say myself you go girl, because you are doing it, trusting and believing. I love you and I will see you as soon as GOD sees fit the time. Always praying.
    E

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear Yogi...
    It has been a long time since I called you that,Yolanda-- or called you, PERIOD. I have, through, Kim Matterson and Akua (Kathy) Woolbright gotten word of your journey and I am writing after all these years of "just thinking" about you to tell you that I am standing i prayer for you and your family as you walk down this road.

    I am glad that you are facing your treatment with the knowledge that God has got you, I am happy to know you have the support of family, friends and your church. Thank you for sharing your revelations... and for remembering to be grateful always. Keep trusting, keep laughing with Michael (he sounds amazing! I thank God for him and your girls) and receive all the goodness that is in your midst, even now. Distance and time does not erase kindness, friendships, or compassion; and I haven't said this to you in years, Yolanda--but, I love you. I truly do...

    "Finally, brethren, whatever things are true, whatever things are noble, whatever things are just, whatever things are pure, whatever things are lovely, whatever things are of good report, if there is any virtue and if there is anything praiseworthy—meditate on these things. The things which you learned and received and heard and saw in me, these do, and the God of peace will be with you. (Phillippians 4:7-9)
    I will be meditating on all things PRAISEworthy and I am grateful that the waves of love have reunited us all in Spirit. Stay Strong!
    JoNell Kennedy ( SMU '89)

    ReplyDelete
  6. What an awesome GOD we serve!!! Yolanda...You have experienced... "HOW GREAT OUR GOD REALLY IS" first hand. Know that we will continue to be in prayer for you and your family for strenght, we will not stop now we have come a long way and yet still have a ways to go. But we thank GOD that he has placed you in the hands of his servants (those that know that it is not what they can do, but (the gift that GOD has blessed them with)..for he is not though with you yet. So when permission is granted, I would love to come and visit even 5 minute will be worth it. Michael keep up the great work you are doing, you are holding it down -- just the way a Godly man does it and know that you too remain in our prayers. Yolanda, I am so looking forward to you standing before us once again to testify "HOW GREAT IS OUR GOD." We love you and May God continue to Bless you.. The Branch Family

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yolanda! Girl! U got some strength!!! Not that it surprises me not one bit? The fact that u found some humor in all of this tornado of turmoil? Nope! That does not surprise me either! U have to always keep your body in a positive mode because u know any disease process thrives when the body is in an negative balance. The simple fact that you and Mike have been doing more than just sharing some information about your condition! Girl! What your doing would be considered down right against HIPAA! Your willingness to completely be open about every step of your journey with not just your family and friends but anyone who opens your blog, is also a cathartic release of pent up emotions for both you and Mike and it also keeps people from 'having to go seek' information also" You have no idea how many lives you are touching because those people have not yet opened your site! But they will, if not today they will tomorrow! Never feel guilty nor like you must explain why you have to justify why you must restrict your visitation hours, Honey- you just had two major surgeries in less than 5 months and will be needing to start radiation then chemo! You need all the rest you can get! You must build up your reserves to prepare for those two treatments AND especially with the fact that the flu season is upon us you don't need to be exposed to any potential viral or bacterial infections. Do I sound like a preachy nurse? Wow! I must have been exposed to many of them? LoL
    You and Mike have been so very kind and very informative to us your friends and former coworkers! I for one am extremely greatful especially for the daily offerings of information! It's awesome but I do understand that there may come a time when either or both of you may be too exhausted to update it and we hope to understand to not to become too panicky and start an overwhelming number of phone calls to your cells or home! I am ever so grateful that God has arranged it so that His faithful servants were the ones to be there in your hour of need, like Dr.Kim reassuring you that he is an ' instrument' through Im sure God has Blessed him with a wonderful talent in which many a miracle has occured, for you and I have witnessed them. And the nurse professing her Faith to you and the fact that she sensed positive vibes, proves that given enough positive energy your body ,will begin the healing process. Meanwhile we your extended family comprised of friends and coworkers will be here on the sidelines, in the churches from many dominations, holding prayer sessions in your name, and your family's recovery, and thanking you for including us and those without names or faces in your Journey, why us! Yolanda? Why are we so special as to be included? Whatever the answer? I thank you and I pray that one day God gives us the answer to cure, and prevent illness such as yours . So that, wonderful friends,moms wives, daughters, sisters, neices, granddaughters, Goddaughters, and Honey's never have to experience what you and hundreds of thousands of other women have experienced this year and years past! God Bless you and watch over you and your family tonight and every night

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yo, you are truly a pillar of strength. May God continue to bless you and use you for His glory! Byron and I will continue to keep you and your family in our prayers. God Bless You!

    Love ya!
    Traci King

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yolanda,

    I learned of your journey only last week and have read your blog daily - even going back to the early writings to get a full picture of what you and your family have been going through. I can only say "Our God is an awesome God and he does reign"! We will continue to prayer for you, Michael, your children and your family that God's grace and mercy will be with you always. You are truly in God's hands and he is using you as an intrument to reveal his wonders. Blessings to all of you.

    Carolyne and J.D. Oliver

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yo Yo

    It has been almost a year since I seen you at Rev. Cofield's event. And now to here that you are fighting this battle floors me. You and Michael are in my thoughts and prayers. I know that you will beat this thing with strength and God's Grace. Continue to take care of yourself and I will hopefully get to see you soon

    Love Always
    Ron

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Momma...I just figured out how to follow and post...I have been following your journey daily via cell which only gives me the option to follow your progress...now at home I have learned the way.. As you know I am at lost for words but I know in my heart that you will overcome this hurdle...you are storng and surrounded by faith..you are in my thoughts and prayers and I look forward to seeing you soon! I heart u!

    Thinking of You Always,
    Calvo

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Sister Yolanda,
    Thank you for sharing your journey with our body of believers.God is using you to minister to people on many levels,as we see His hand working in and through your life. I am encouraged because of your faith. Truly, we are blessed to be connected to you and rejoice with you as you pass through this season. Please know that I am praying for you and your family, daily. You all (The Williams) are a wonderful example of love and unity. Again, thank you and may God's healing power continue to flow into your body. Much love, Sister Myra

    ReplyDelete