Friday, December 24, 2010

Keeping you up to date

Well I thought I would let you know how things are going with me and the medical plan.

I have started my physical therapy. I had two days last week, I'll have two days next week, and after that I will be going 3 days per week. I am so ready to throw this walker away. What I will be working on the most is gaining control and strength in the lower part of my legs (from knees on down), learning to hold my head up, and strengthening my core. My diaphragm is a little week which is why I have been short of breath when talking; but it is getting little better.

I had 10 sessions of radiation ordered and I now have 3 more to go (Monday - Wednesday of next week). It has not been too eventful but it has caused to have some difficulty swallowing because of the location of the radiation. Radiation is being done to my chest area to attack the cells that metastasized to my spine; it in turn effects the esophagus. That's just great! It's the holiday season and I am going to have difficulty swallowing!?! Psych! I'm gonna eat! It may hurt going down, but my taste buds and tummy will be happy!

I will go to the hospital on Thursday for day surgery to get a long term catheter put in for the chemotherapy. On January 5th, I will begin Chemotherapy (Carboplatin and Taxol). The nurse reviewed the side effects with me and oh boy! Everything and anything you can think of the medications have the possibility of causing. Needless to say, one of them is hair loss. Of all of the side effects, my vanity is getting in the way and wondering what I will do with no hair. I know, I know, I know....there are nice looking wigs or I can go bald...ugh, the thought of going bald is interesting, yet scary! Anyway, we'll get through and hopefully have fun doing it. There are many other side effects like peripheral neuropathy (loosing the feeling in your fingers), dehydration, achy bones, among other things.


Needless to say, your prayers are still needed. We are progressing through our treatment plan, but still have a ways to go. Chemotherapy will last about 6 months. Initially I will start out one a week for 3 weeks and then off for one week; eventually I will go to once a month or every other week. Physical therapy is open ended and I can go as long as I need.


In love...

2 comments:

  1. Merry Christmas William's family!!!

    from the Harris'

    love Kathleen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yolanda it's nice to know the LORD have been hearing our prayers and you are doing better. Please keep up the faith. Merry Christmas and a happy new year.


    GOD BLESS YOU,
    Elba

    ReplyDelete