Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Two Weeks Later

Good afternoon to everyone.  Today is 12/1/10 and Yolanda went in for major surgery at approximately 2pm today.  The surgery is expected to last 6 to 7 hours.  On 11/19/10 (almost of two weeks) she had an open biopsy to scrap and collect some tumor cells from her vertebra (from T2 down to T5).  We were preparing to move into the next phase of her recover (radiation treatment and later chemotherapy); however, her pain continued to spike as I had to take her to the ER twice in the past five days.  After taking her to the ER on this past Sunday evening, the neurosurgeon (Dr. Kim) and her oncologist (Dr. Osbourne) decided to keep her in the hospital and run a battery of test. 

When Yolanda woke up on Sunday morning she noticed some weakness on the right side of her body and was not able to stand or walk without assistance.  She also felt a tingling sensation in her right arms and legs.  The MRI revealed that her T2 and T4 vertebra has totally collapsed and that the cancer is growing at a very rapid rate.  Per Dr. Kim, the MRI shows that the tumor's growth is "impressive" compared just TWO WEEKS AGO and it is very aggressive. (NOTE:  Dr. Kim is the leading upper body and spinal neurosurgeon in the country. Not only is he the Chair of Neurosurgery at Baylor College of Medicine he has also written over 19 text books on the spine.)  Dr. Kim told us just before surgery that his job is the remove as much of the visible cancer cells as humanly possible and to stabilize her vertebra.  With the collapse of T2 and T4 vertebrae, Yolanda spine is no longer strong enough to support her head and neck. Dr. Kim also said that the tumor is creating so much pressure on her spine that if we would have waiting one more week she would have become paralyzed from the breast down. Her medical team has been outstanding.  Dr. Osbourne has even given us his personal cell and home phone numbers.  The doctors are on the case and have spent numerous hours discussing over the phone and emailing about Yolanda's case.

My GOD, I never knew Yolanda was/is this strong.  She is my hero!  Her strength and devotion to our Lord JESUS Christ is amazing.  People ask me all the time "how are you doing Michael" and my response is always the same - I am doing fine. The reason why I am doing fine is because my wife is channelling a light from God that gives me hope and strength.  I can not explain in words how easy it is for me to continue to be upbeat, positive and strong for my wife and girls.  I know now that, when you have COMPLETE faith and know that come what may "God's Will Be Done" the worries of the moment don't weigh you down.  Now, so that I am clear and honest, I am not saying that I am not concerned for my wife's well being and her quality of life going forward but I am saying that I/we have accepted what has already been written long before Yolanda and I were conceived, meet, married and had children.  God already wrote the book and we as Christians have chosen to trust in his word and walk by faith and know that there is a reason for Yolanda's Journey. 

There is a celebration in her/our testimony even if it is not for us. God (in all of his wisdom) is using her/us to help someone else.  Possibly someone we may not even know.  Our pastor teaches that we should not be so small minded to think that God is only working in our little small spec of a corner of the world.  God is all knowing, all seeing, perfect in every way and he does not make mistakes.  So we submit to his will.  We are thankful in every way, praise God!  It is our pray that someone is bless by our testimony and comes to know the Lord JESUS as their personal saviour. 

Let me stop and say:  If you are questioning your faith or you are not a Christian, please stop and ask JESUS to come into your life and dwell as the head of your life.  JESUS is the truth and the light.  John 14:6 reads: Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me.  You can chose to let JESUS be your captain.  I pray you consider Christ today. AMEN!

Please know that Yolanda (we) is/are encouraged by your comments and feels the outpouring of love that you are showing through your words.  Less than two weeks ago she went under the knife for an open biopsy and today this nasty cancer has taken two of her vertebrae, but she is not going to let this speed bump stand in the way of her blessing.  Yolanda is a fighter and we are already planning a victory celebration.

Be blessed and thank you all for keeping my wife and us in your prayers!

No comments:

Post a Comment