Monday, December 6, 2010

Food for thought – How well do you really know your/or about your own temple?

As I review the events that are transcending through this journey, there’s one remaining question that I have had the privilege to discuss with some of you. As mentioned several times, I do not know why I am going through any of this; therefore, I will occasionally take the opportunity to just a write a “food for thought” which to a degree is just a revelation that has been placed on my heart.

My question for you today is do you really know your temple as well as you SHOULD? Understand this, physicians have gone to school and have undergone extensive training to learn about the HUMAN BODY. They are trained experts on the anatomy and physiology of the human body. They have, in many cases, had the privilege of dissecting cadavers, studying the activities of “like human test animals” i.e. rats and monkeys, or studying various systems of interest.

I believe, whereas physicians have studied the HUMAN BODY they have not studied YOUR BODY. But the bigger question is “Have you?” In going through this journey which started May 2010 with a routine annual well-woman visit, initially resulted in 2 biopsies, 2 surgeries and multiple tests/procedures. While I was in for my visit, I communicated that there was something abnormal. Instead of further investigation or following-up, my doctor responded with just take some Vitamin E and let me know how you feel in a couple of weeks. The reported results of my mammogram were normal. Understand that pain of any kind, is meant to signal you there is a problem in your body. Two weeks later, I was back in the MDs office with the same complaint, increased pain and a second mammogram leading to an ultrasound, which then leads to a surgeon. Until June 29th, which was when I was diagnosed with cancer, did anyone take me seriously that whatever was going on needed more than “over the counter” attention. On July 29th, I find myself being wheeled off to surgery for a total left breast mastectomy.

By the end of September, I am confronted with yet another pain which needed attention after I had tried and failed to get relief from “over the counter” remedies. My primary care physician (PCP) loosely diagnosed me with pleurisy and suggested I take Aleve and I should begin to feel relief within a couple of days. Approximately two weeks later my PCP ordered a cardiac workup. Over a week later, because I had not received any comfort, I visited an urgent care center, found another PCP and my arthritis doctor, ordered more tests. Out of the four physicians, six prescriptions were written to treat a possibility and not a definitive diagnosis. I refused to take any of the medications because I was not comfortable with pain relief without a specified diagnosis; i.e. shooting in the dark. Still adamant that the piercing chest pain (like someone stabbing you with a large knife from your back through your chest and twisting it at the same time) that I was having was real, I returned to my original primary physician for her to say, “Well you have been diagnosed by several physicians with the same diagnosis therefore, we are confident that your treatment plan is correct but the only thing we haven’t checked is an upper GI, which we can do IF you want to.” Basically she was saying, in my opinion; let’s order this test to pacify me (i.e. to shut me up).” Knowing that my pain was real, I as adamant to have the test performed.

Be persistent about your care! She had received the results of my test in 48 hours, but had not bothered to call me about the results. When I truly thought I was just on my last leg which was about one week later, I asked Michael to call my doctor to get the results of the of the upper GI. Her response was disappointing as she shared with me that I had an ulcer and that I needed to be scoped. “Really, now was my thought!!!” She didn’t even bother to inform, we had to call her several days later? Here I am sitting at home in increasing pain over that last week, having to make yet another trip to the ER. While in there I rejected any further testing offered by the ER because my PCP diagnosed me with an ulcer.

On the following Monday I was scoped, only to find out that I do not have an ulcer. My GI doctor was immediately concerned (he is a close family friend and he knew that I am not the type of patient who cries wolf) and ordered a series of tests (MRIs, Ultrasounds and CT Scans of various parts of my body), which were done that evening. The next day (Tuesday), we find out from the investigative concern of a wonderful GI physician, I had a tumor surrounding by spinal cord!!! Praise God for placing this awesome friend and medical doctor in my life and in me path along this journey. All of this leads to an open body biopsy, more tests and now this major and very urgent surgery.
Why am I briefing you on the details? Because if I had not been persistent about the PAIN that I was feeling, either one of these incidents could have led to a much worse outcome. “DO YOU KNOW YOUR OWN BODY?” A better question is do you know what usual pain feels like versus what it means to have abnormal pain? Take responsibility for yourself. Do not let the so called “experts” treat you and they really don’t know what they are treating. God made us “wonderfully and fearfully,” He made us in His image. We were/are created awesomely but our body works together in harmony so that it is in sink and makes sense. If you remember there used to be a little tune that we sang that speaks to each body part is connected to another part and how it all works together. That is the CREATION that only God could perform. All we have been able to do is clone what God has created but we cannot recreate his CREATION. God has, through various signals, given each of us the ability of being our own physician for your own body. The insight of that which we can’t see (i.e. PAIN) is one of our primary signals that say “Hey a part of the temple/creation is not working very well.” Man can recover, repair, clone and mimic but we cannot create as God has already done.

Lastly, not only are we created in his image but we are wonderfully and fearfully made as individuals. And so I ask, do you know your own body? What does the pain signify? Is it new or unusual? Take care of this awesome temple that God has created. He has given you charge over your temple and gave you the ability to inform the “medical professional” when something is not going right internally. Be persistent, steadfast and never stop pleading your case when you know something is not right and you question if you are not receiving the correct treatment.
We are all unique and sometimes the quick answer/treatment is not the correct one.

With Love for you all, I am humbly grateful to have this opportunity to share my journey and to help someone grow stronger in the Lord. May God continue to bless!

1 comment:

  1. Yolanda, what a powerful story you have. Thank you for sharing it with the rest of us. I am inspired by your strength and faith. God is truly real in your life. I know it may not always be easy, but the fact that you can keep coming back to God's purpose for your life, is incredible. Know that I (and many many others) love you. I am praying fervently for you, and believing in a speedy and complete recovery. Please let me know what you need. I mean it. Let me know if there is anything at all that I can do for you. Love, Kathy

    ReplyDelete